Tag Archives: Austin Shanks
There were many standout performers from Saturday’s 69-0 victory over Ft. Lewis however, the following players were honored as players of the week:
Offensive Player of the Week – Trey Gilleo – Senior - Kingman, AZ
- Trey was instrumental in clearing holes for NAU running backs to rush through as the team rushed for 346 yards and provided excellent protection as the Lumberjacks passed for 211 yards and allowed zero sacks.
Defensive Player of the Week – Blair Wishom – Junior – Antioch, CA
- Wishom provided excellent coverage and support in the secondary as he tallied four tackles and an interception that he returned for 45 yards. He was a large part of the Lumberjacks defensive effort that held Ft. Lewis to 122 total offensive yards and pitched a shutout.
Special Teams Player of the Week – Austin Shanks – Senior – Pacoima, CA
- Shanks had a punt return for a touchdown for the second straight week and averaged over 50 yards per punt return on the day.
Offensive Scout Team Player of the Week – Mike Massey – Freshman – Litchfield Park, AZ
- Massey gave the starting offense an excellent look as the field side cornerback.
Defensive Scout Team Player of the Week – Leroy Guenther – Freshman – Wickenburg, AZ
- Guenther gave the starting defense consistent looks on the offensive line.
On Saturday NAU Football flexed its muscles in handling Ft. Lewis College a 69-0 loss. NAU played a rather clean, disciplined game as they committed only five penalties, didn’t turn the ball over, and gave up no big plays. The offense amassed over 550 yards including 211 through the air and 346 on the ground. The defense limited Ft. Lewis to only 122 total offensive yards while collecting two sacks, a turnover, and a shutout. The special teams also pitched in as Austin Shanks returned another punt for a touchdown and averaged over 50 yards per return for the game. A complete recap of the game can be found here. Below are some of the best shots from the game. Enjoy!
Below are Mitch & Kevin’s calls from NAU’s upset of UNLV on Saturday. Enjoy!
On Saturday night the NAU Lumberjacks stormed into Sam Boyd Stadium and upset the UNLV Rebels 17-14. The game was a hard fought affair and one that NAU actually trailed in 14-0 early in the second quarter. The Lumberjacks however continued to play hard and disciplined and climbed back into the contest thanks to an Austin Shanks 75 yard punt return early in the third quarter and a Zach Bauman touchdown in the fourth quarter. Junior kicker Andy Wilder nailed a 33 yard field goal with 12 second left on the clock. The defense continued to hold on and NAU beat a Football Bowl Subdivision team (FBS – formerly Division 1-A) for the first time in a quarter of a century. Here is the full game summary. Enjoy some photos from the contest below and on the Flickr page. More content from the game to come tomorrow!